Friday, August 8, 2008

Friday Five - God Days of Summer


Thanks to Presbyterian Gal at revgalblogpals...
It’s August. An oppressively hot and humid month where many of us live.

I remember the Al Pacino movie though not much about the plot. Just that it was very, very hot. And he had giant sweat stains on his shirt.

As I pass through this year’s dog days in my felon ridden neighborhood (OK, just two housefuls. But isn’t that enough?), I am trying to focus on the blessings apparent around me, past and present, that I might not notice, necessarily.

In that spirit, this week’s Friday Five goes thusly:

1. What is your sweetest summer memory from childhood? Did it involve watermelon or hand cranked ice cream? Or perhaps a teen summer romance. Which stands out for you?
camping, band camp (yes, I was a total band geek!), freeze tag, family picnics, playing with my younger brother outside, celebrating my birthday, riding bike, going miniature golfing and then to the Jigger Shop, dancing on the back porch to great 80's music with my friends, swimming...so many to choose from.


As I remember my childhood summer days, most of my memories involve my grandparents. My grandfather (gramps) was the caretaker of a local park, and I remember sleeping over at their house, pictured above at the entrance to the park. Every night gramps would go through the park after closing and burn the trash barrels. When Chris & I slept over, we would all pile in his pick-up - yes we kids and their great dog, Shena, would ride in the back - what fun! When he was finished, he would take us to the pool in the park where we would have the whole gigantic pool to ourselves!

2. Describe your all time favorite piece of summer clothing. The one thing you could put on in the summer that would seem to insure a cooler, more excellent day.
A t-shirt and shorts - NO shoes, which is still true :)

3. What summer food fills your mouth with delight and whose flavor stays happily with you long after eaten?
This answer is easy - smores!

4. Tell us about the summer vacation or holiday that holds your dearest memory.
Again, memories with my grandparents (g&g) - they would always take us camping, which we loved, every summer. I remember one particular camping trip where we were having so much fun, we decided to just stay another week. We didn't even mind having to go into town to grocery shop and do our laundry because we were staying!

And another, I just cannot resist, g&g took us camping to Assateague where there are wild ponies roaming free on the island. It is posted everywhere not to leave food outside - because the ponies will come and the ponies will eat! We awoke one morning to the sound of clattering outside and thought how rude our neighbors were cooking breakfast so early in the morning! However, it was the ponies rummaging through our neighbors things. My grandmother, small as she was at about 5 foot, decided to chase the ponies away - totally characteristic of her! So she did. A few minutes later the ponies had chewed their way through a dining fly where a group of young guys were staying. Again, grandma to the rescue, (gosh, the woman had no fear!) as she went and woke up the guys so they could save their food! Go grandma!

5. Have you had any experience(s) this summer that has drawn you closer to God or perhaps shown you His wonder in a new way?
Moving our family to a new home, a new church, a new place completely has been a step of faith. Having God's affirmation nearly every step of the way has really been amazing! Thank you, Lord!

Bonus question: When it is really hot, humid and uncomfortable, what do you do to refresh and renew body and spirit?

I must admit I am pretty much of a wimp when it comes to hot, humid and uncomfortable, so I retreat inside to the coolness of the air conditioner! Or I could go to the movies. Or I could go and get ice cream! Yummy! :)

P.S. The opening ceremonies for the Olympic Games were amazing! They serve as a reminder to keep the people of China in prayer!

1 comment:

Lori said...

I just love the stories of your grandparents! How fun.

And blessings to you and yours on your new life!