Thursday, July 9, 2009

Contemplation

"In a noise-polluted world, it is even difficult to hear ourselves think let along try to be still and know God. Yet it seems essential for our spiritual life to seek some silence, no matter how busy we may be. Silence is not to be shunned as empty space, but to be befriended as fertile ground for intimacy with God" --Susan Muto

Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him." ~ John 7:37b-38 (NIV)

I am departing from the lectionary for the remainder of the summer to explore deeply the Spiritual Discipline Streams, based on Richard Foster's work.

So this week we will focus on Contemplation - The Prayer-Filled Life. Living a life of loving attention to God - through which we experience the divine rest that overcomes our alienation. I think we all need a little (or a lot of rest). Can you imagine your life if you took just a few minutes out of your day to be still... surrounded by silence... alone. I don't know about you, but to me that sounds like a little bit of heaven on earth.

Be still and know...my encouragement for all of us, including me, today.

Blessings!

No comments: