Friday, September 26, 2008

It's a Johnny Appleseed Friday Five!

Thanks to Singing Owl for the Appley Good Friday Five! Oh boy, did this bring back wonderful memories of many a youth retreat singing grace for our meals, "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh....The Lord's been good to me and so I thank the Lord for giving me the things I need, the sun and the rain and the appleseed, the Lord's been good to me! Amen!!!!"

Raise your hand if you know that today is Johnny Appleseed Day!

September 26, 1774 was his birthday. "Johnny Appleseed" (John Chapman) is one of America's great legends. He was a nurseryman who started out planting trees in western New York and Pennsylvania, but he was among those who were captivated by the movement west across the continent.

As Johnny traveled west (at that time, the "West" was places like Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, and Illinois) he planted apple trees and sold trees to settlers. With every apple tree that was planted, the legend grew. A devout Christian, he was known to preach during his travels. According to legend, Johny Appleseed led a simple life and wanted little. He rarely accepted money and often donated any money he received to churches or charities. He planted hundreds of orchards, considering it his service to humankind. There is some link between Johny Appleseed and very early Arbor Day celebrations.

So, in honor of this interesting fellow, let's get on with the questions!

1. What is your favorite apple dish? (BIG BONUS points if you share the recipe.)

I love apples anyway you slice them! Though I would have a very difficult time with my favorite apple dish, my favorite type of apple only comes around this time of year and I just picked up some - Honey Crisp! Yummy!! I also love apple butter on lightly toasted bread! No bonus points for me today, as I am not much of a cook, therefore I do not have any great recipes to share, but I am enjoying all those that have been shared. Thanks!

2. Have you ever planted a tree? If so was there a special reason or occasion you can tell us about?
After my very lovey tabby cat Skater died a little over a year ago, my hubby decided for mother's day to buy me a weeping willow tree to plant in his honor. This unfortunately has not happened as of yet because we are not sure where we want to plant it - but it will happen someday ~ I will not let him forget. :)

3. Does the idea of roaming around the countryside (preaching or otherwise) appeal to you? Why or why not?
Thanks in large part to my grandparents, I do love to travel anywhere, anytime. However, with two little ones the idea of traveling around the countryside to preach does not really appeal to me at this juncture. My hubby and I have talked about once the girls are all grown-up (not that I want that to happen anytime soon!) to do mission work across the country. I think that would be cool, but only when the time is right. Right now I am thankful for roots.

4. Who is a favorite "historical legend" of yours?
This is an easy one - Harriet Tubman, escaped slave who led many other slaves to freedom, she was also an abolitionist, Civil War soldier, and women's rights advocate. What an inspiration! I love reading about how brave she was and I stand in awe of all that she and those working the underground railroad were able to do. She is quoted as saying, "I had reasoned this out in my mind, there was one of two things I had a right to, liberty or death; if I could not have one, I would have the other." If only we had more people like her, willing to risk their necks for others, instead of being so greedy...talk about living your faith out loud!

5. Johnny Appleseed was said to sing to keep up his spirits as he traveled the roads of the west. Do you have a song that comes when you are trying to be cheerful, or is there something else that you often do?
I suffered two miscarriages before I became pregnant with Little Miss Lou Who (our oldest) and so, needless to say that time was very precious to me and of course she was/is very special. Thus, I was determined to memorize a song that I could sing to her on cue, whenever she was scared or hurt. The song that I spent hours learning was "I Will" by Lennon/McCartney. I now use that song as much for me, if not more, than for her. I love it!

Who knows how long I've loved you
You know I love you still
Will I wait a lonely lifetime
If you want me to--I will.
For if I ever saw you I didn't catch your name
But it never really mattered
I will always feel the same.
Love you forever and forever
Love you with all my heart
Love you whenever we're together
Love you when we're apart.
And when at last I find you
Your song will fill the air
Sing it loud so I can hear you
Make it easy to be near you
For the things you do endear you to me
Oh, you know I will.

4 comments:

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

What lovely answers! Thank you for playing and sharing. You are the third person to mention Honey Crisp apples, so I must try to find some!

Mavis said...

What an amazing heroine and a beautiful song for your beloved children

Terri said...

I am introducing your blog to the revgals on Monday. Welcome!

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

Welcome to Revgals.