Friday, March 13, 2009

Friday Five: Mid-Lent Check-In

Thanks to Sophia at RevGalBlogPals...

The pastor of my grad school parish once gave a fascinating reflection, at about this mid-point in the season, called "How to Survive the Mid-Lent Crisis"! As I recall, his main point was that by halfway through the season we have often found it very challenging to live up to our original plans....But, he suggested--on the analogy of the healing and reframing of our life plans that can happen during a mid-*life* crisis--that that can be even more fruitful.

So here's an invitation to check in on the state of your spirit midway through "this joyful season where we prepare to celebrate the paschal mystery with mind and heart renewed" (Roman Missal). Hopefully there's a good deal of grace, and not too much crisis, in your mid-Lenten experience!

1. Did you give up, or take on, anything special for Lent this year?

I have been practicing the spiritual discipline of silence/solitude and though it definitely takes practice, it is time well spent and totally worth it!

2. Have you been able to stay with your original plans, or has life gotten in the way?

Yes! And I have been thoroughly blessed by my time with God. In addition, since I am now in my first year of ministry I am participating in a mid-week, community Lenten service and that has been wonderful as I experience worshiping in differing settings and being fed by my brothers in the ministry.

3. Has God had any surprising blessings for you during this Lent?

God has blessed me abundantly during the last few weeks with a depth of intimacy and a deep desire for Him that I have never known before...

4. What is on your inner and/or outer agenda for the remainder of Lent and Holy Week?

To seek God and to spend time with Him.

5. Where do you most long to see resurrection, in your life and/or in the world, this Easter?

I have been so blessed by this Lenten season my prayer is to see resurrection in the heart of the people that I am surrounded by - my family, my friends, my faith community...Nothing is impossible for God!

Bonus: Share a favorite scripture, prayer, poem, artwork, or musical selection that speaks Lenten spring to your heart.

See my earlier post from this week for a poem that God wrote through me. I have always desired to be a poet! :) Thank You, Father, Son & Holy Spirit!

2 comments:

Chris said...

Great post!

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

What wonderful blessings you have been given this Lent--rejoicing with you.

I enjoyed reading back over your poem and introduction--so glad you are with us in RevGals!