Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Satisfaction From 5 Loaves & 2 Fishes!?!

Satisfaction…
(m. jagger/k. richards)

When i'm watchin' my tv
And that man comes on to tell me
How white my shirts can be...
I can't get no satisfaction
I can't get no satisfaction
cause i try and i try and i try and i try
I can't get no, i can't get no
Lectionary Thoughts –
Upon reading the Gospel text from Matthew 14:13-21 & both Psalms 17, selected verses & 145, selected verses the word that came to mind, as the above lyrics reflect, is satisfaction.

My sermon title this week is “You Give Them Something to Eat.” Jesus was grief-stricken upon hearing the news that His beloved cousin, John, who leapt in Elizabeth’s womb upon Mary’s nearing, had been beheaded. He withdrew with those who were closest to Him wanting nothing more than to have the space to grieve. He has compassion for the crowds that came to Him, needing Him. His disciples approached Him to send the crowd away as it is getting late and they are getting hungry. Surprisingly, Jesus responds saying, “You give them something to eat.”

“We have so little and the crowd is huge!”

Jesus instructs them to bring the five loaves and two fishes to Him. Then He takes them, looks up to heaven, gives thanks and breaks them. The disciples distribute the food and we are told that ALL ate and were satisfied, so much so that there was plenty left over. The number of those who ate was about five thousand men, NOT including women and children!

Psalm 17:6-7, 15
I call on you, O God, for you will answer me; give ear to me and hear my prayer. Show the wonder of your great love, you who save by your right hand those who take refuge in you from their foes. And I—in righteousness I will see your face; when I awake, I will be satisfied with seeing your righteousness.

Psalm 145: 15-16
The eyes of all look to you and you give them their food at the proper time. You open your hand and satisfy the desires of every living thing.

How great is our God? How can we not sing praises to Him who satisfies our every need!?!

My outline – at this time…as always subject to change
1. Our great needs
a. Safety, security, love, acceptance…
b. Nothing else (not money, not the media, not the government, not other people, etc…) can satisfy our needs (referring to “Satisfaction” lyrics)

2. God’s providence out of scarcity, into abundance
a. 5 loaves/2 fishes
b. Psalms 17 & 145

3. How we are to respond to all that He has blessed us with.
a. Even when we are not sure, or tired, or are hungry ourselves
b. Compassion
c. Abundance

d. Joy

1 comment:

niwaki said...

Sorry, I meant to make note of details regarding the artwork in today's post. It is entitled "Five Loaves and Two Fish - Food for Thought", a Collagraph by Lika Tov.

And may be found at:
http://www.estrellafineart.com/lika_tov1.htm